[VAC] Re: veneer repair

Chris, the laminations can be reglued if they are not too extensive. I did
several on my ' 68 Tradewind. A good lumber supply place (lumber yard type)
will probably have super glue in 4 oz. plastic bottles in various
viscosities. I found the medium viscosity worked best for me. Generally
these places have very fine plastic needle nose spouts that screw on the
bottle of super glue or you can use a syringe from the drug store with a
large gauge needle to squirt the glue under the separated places. I found it
best to clamp the glued places for a few minutes
for the glue to set up. I used wax paper under the clamping arrangement so
the clamp wouldn't be superglued to the repair. The thin viscosity glue will
come through the thin veneer and will change the surface appearance making
it look shiny and will not refinish/stain the same as other areas. Once you
get the hang of it, it works surprisingly well -- or did for me. Several of
my bulkheads were too far gone and those I replaced.

Feel free to ask questions if you need more information.

Good luck.

Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind