[VAC] Re: Replacing Shocks / Balancing Wheels

Nope, no grease required. The studs and nuts on the drums were nice and
clean, obviously protected by the hub caps. Two of the studs on one drum
had a few flat spots, and were difficult to tighten though. Any advice
on where I might find replacement studs for the old vintage drums? Auto
supply house or an Airstream only part?

The other components were another story. The shock studs and nuts were
crusty with rust, and I had to use a nut cracker to split the old nuts
off. I can't replace the shock studs easily, but i did wire brush them
as best I could and replaced the nuts and washers with grade 8 hardware,
and I slathered them with grease to (hopefully) slow future corrosion.

Still working on the second wheel today...keep the beer coming.

--
Ted Byrd
1958 Overlander