[VAC] Re: Fw: Water Heater continued

Don,
  If you've replaced the thermocouple and are sure that it's good, then
I'd begin to suspect the gas valve itself. Now, here's the rub:

Unless you can get an identical replacement valve, you're going to have
a bit of replumbing to do. Chances are, the solenoid is bad, but I doubt
very much if you could get a replacement. The companies are entirely too
concerned about liability to sell such stuff, their answer is "replace
it with a new one". And, it might be something else in the gas valve,
but I don't know what it'd be.

One more test that you might try: grab your propane torch and hold it on
the thermocouple once you have the thing all fired up. That would test
to see if you truly DO have enough flame/heat on it.

A good HVAC guy has a tester that goes in series with the thermocouple
so you can see what's going on during actual operation.

                                 <<Jim>>