[VAC] Re: Bathroom Plastic advice

Hi:

My name is Beth and I have just received the fabulous gift of a 1970
Airstream Sovereign from my wonderful son Stephen and husband Jim as a
Valentine's gift!!

Much of her (about 85%) is intact and original (new working fridge and lack
of any living room furniture are the main alterations).

She is the cream with gold fleck and 70's garish green wall upholstery and
kitchen formica with a lemon yellow bathroom.  Her formerly lemon-yellow
bathroom tub was covered with random HERSHEY chocolate brown colored-stains
all over the base with wretched stains of same scattered over her sink,
counter and toilet seating area.  I thought these stains were embedded into
the plastic, but wanted to attempt restoration.

I have spent about 20 hours online since Wednesday night gleaning the
excellent resources of Tom, Shirley, Vintage Airstream, Phred, this VAC
archive, etc....I am a PURE NOVICE, but here is my early result:
After 8 hours of scrubbing the past 3 afternoons, her bathroom is gleaming
and gorgeous, back to her original if slightly sun-faded happy lemon yellow
with almost NO HINT of staining!  If anyone is interested, I can email
before and after photos of these miraculous results (humility is over-rated
when you've spent 8 hours scrubbing a former owners toilet!!)

I highly recommend these two products:

1) Zap! to cut through the tough aged dark crusty grime.  You MUST rinse the
Zap well with much water to avoid stains re-emerging.  Zap! is available at
Bed, Bath and Beyond for $7.00 for 16 oz.  It is a dilute of muriatic acid,
specially developed for cleaning plastic shower stalls, so wear gloves.
2)Power Paste; an orange oil based cleanser, to detail/refine cleaning and
polish away slighter stains.Smells nice too. Also available at Bed, Bath
Beyond.

I will be posting most likely for advice, but am happy to pass on any
helpful ideas I come across.  The Vintage Airstream community is so friendly
and outreach-oriented....many thanks to all of you who've shared your
knowledge and advice online.

beth
beth@browning.org