[VAC] Re: Info On Engines Please

Alex,
  Many folks use oil analysis to tell when their engine is heading
South, but your idea of watching oil consumption and compression will
probably work as well. You should get some numbers NOW, so you have
something to compare by. Compression will fall as the engine gets more
miles on it, and it will become uneven, cylinder to cylinder. More than
20 PSI difference is probably "too much".

GM used to have what they called their "Target Master" engines, which
was a brand-new engine in the crate. I bought a 6-292 TM engine in 1982
that turned out to be a wonderful unit, albeit made in Mexico.
(Motherhood, Apple Pie, Chevy 6s.... made in Mexico? But, I digress)

A brand-new engine is kinda nice and the price was actually little more
than rebuilding the old one, with me doing the disassembly/reassembly.

Alternatives are to have a local shop rebuild your engine or to get a
remanufactured unit from someplace like Jasper Engines. A friend used a
Jasper and is very happy with it.

You'll no doubt want to overhaul your transmission at the same time, and
for the same reasons. The alternatives are about the same, including
Jasper, as they re-man trannies also.

Don't forget the engine accessories when you replace it: water pump,
distributor, alternator, and starter. The radiator should be OK if
you've been changing the coolant every couple or 3 years.

I'm assuming that you've changed the rear-end oil a time or 2; synthetic
oil is highly recommended in that application.

One thing you might want to do NOW is get the timing chain replaced.
Those things tend to go bad before the engine is worn out, and if it
slips or breaks, you have very serious problems. Taken care of, that
engine is probably good for 200K or so, but it will be badly worn at
that point, even if it's still running.

                             <<Jim>>