[VAC] Deadbolt made of wood

John,

A wooden deadbolt is simple to make
****IF****
you have a grab handle on your Airstream.

With my '77 31' Airstream, I used a piece of wood 6 inches long by 1 inch
wide by 3/4 inch narrow.

Start by sliding the wood along the door behind the grab handle so it rests
against the door and overlaps the door frame by an inch or so.

Try to twist the wood so the narrow side bumps into the back of the grab
handle. If you can do that, your wood is wide enough. If it's loose, get a
wider piece of wood, same length and same 3/4 inch narrow. Once you have the
right size wood, you won't be able to twist it behind the grab handle.

Next, with the wood in place (as above), use a pencil to mark the wood along
the narrow edge behind the grab handle. This will show the width of the grab
handle when you remove it to begin whittling.

Whittle a starting groove along the narrow side between the marks you made
and deep enough so you can see progress. From here on, whittling will be a
little at a time to make the groove deeper and so it will fit into the back
of the grab handle. The groove should align under the grab handle.

If it doesn't fit, more whittling will be needed to make it wider or deeper.
Whittle a little at a time and check it often. The goal is a tight fit.

You will then have a wooden deadbolt.

That's all there is to it. The entire job may take half an hour.

Good Luck. I hope this works for you.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net