[VAC] suspension on Caravel

I recently purchased a 1965, 17' Caravel.  The suspension seems very stiff.  The trailer has been parked outside for the past 20 years.
I disconnected the shocks and tested the axle suspension by bouncing on the rear bumper.  The axle will only give about 1/2 inch up or down.  Is there a problem inside the Dura-Torque axle or is this common with this trailer?  I have not loaded the trailer for travel, but it seems to be riding rough while pulling empty.