[VAC] Re: Late 1950s sepctic tanks

T Byrd:

   I was describing general trailer features in 10 year
long, decade-sized strides to help define the misnomer "park
model", and did not intend to provide a year by year
analysis of feature changes.  Airstream trailers could
always be customized, and I imagine some 1930's trailers
could have been ordered with black water holding tanks and
pressurized water systems.

   In 1955, electric hot water heaters for city or
campground pressure water systems were standard on the
higher cost models and optional on the less expensive
models.  The water tank could also be filled by a bucket and
accessed by a hand pump.

   In 1956, marine type flushing toilets ("drop to
daylight") were still standard equipment.

   By 1957, a septic tank for the toilet was optional
equipment for all models.

   In 1958, septic tanks were changed to plastic from metal
and were standard equipment on some larger and special (e.g,
"World Traveler" models and optional equipment on the
smaller trailers.

   In 1959, it appears septic tanks became optional
equipment on all models.

   A septic tank may have been standard equipment on your
1958 Overlander.  It also could have been added or replaced
after your trailer left the factory.

   Hope this helps.

Fred Coldwell
VAC Archive Historian