[VAC] Re: Frame rust

Hey Dave,

Here's an experiment for you to try. It won't cost anything and it may not
have any validity. But, it worked for me once and put me hot on the trail
for getting a frame problem solved.

Simple test. Hook up your Airstream with the spring bars at full strength
(grunt when you hoist them onto the saddle brackets).

Then, roll forward or backward slightly and look at the front aluminum skin
(panel) under the stone screen. Don't see anything different? No buckling?
So much for phase 1.

Then, find a driveway. Go down it and stop at the lowest point while the
trailer wheels still higher and are not into the driveway (maximum pressure
on the spring bars). Look at the front panel under the stone shield. Don't
see anything different? It still looks flat and secure? Possible conclusion.

Rust hasn't reached the "too much" stage yet. The frame is still doing its
thing. It's not flexing from being rusted. It is still capable of
maintaining rigidity under minimal flexing conditions.

End of experiment.

Next step.

Keep track of the emails from structural engineers who know what they are
talking about and forget about this experiment.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net