[VAC] Re: 1958 Overlander Parts

I've got Livingston's book, thanks to the recommendations from folks
here over the months. I'll take a look at the electrical section.  I
spent a part of last night reading, and re-reading, the section on
servicing brakes and wheel bearings. :) It seems the 110v electrical
system is working fine at the moment. The umbilicus from the trailer to
the tow vehicle is UV damaged and the insulation has dried out and is
falling off in many places, leaving bare wires exposed. Hopefully it
won't be too difficult to trace down the connections and replace it.

> A good small appliance repair shop may be able to make a new heating
> element from nichrome wire if the insulators have survived from the old
> refrigerator heating element.

I have the entire original heating element assembly from the
refrigerator, I'll look into this. Thanks for the tip.

> Often faucets need nothing more than tightening the gland nuts to
> squeeze the packing tighter to the shafts.

I'll give this a try, I'm sure I'm going to get to know my True Value
hardware man very well in the near future. :)

If anyone would like pictures of the coach, I'd be happy to pass them
along.  This is a gem, with what looks like a completely original
interior (minus new paint, carpet, cushions, and carpet), and a fairly
straight body. Certainly looks better than the '58 Overlander that is
"melting" in the VintageAirstream.com photo archives. ;)

BTW, if anyone knows of a 1958 or older Overlander that is being parted
out, I'd sure appreciate knowing about it.  I suspect that's going to be
our only source for the replacement window, as well as some other parts.

Ted Byrd
'58 Overlander