[VAC] Re: Solar power

Dick - I've been doing some reading on this - so it's
not from my experience, but others'...

> After following the very helpful comments on this
> and the Airstream list I
> am wondering if a complete rewiring could include
> only a 120 volt system
> with everything operating through an inverter.

as I understand it, you lose alot of the juice that
the solar panels generate converting it (or is it
inverting it?) instead of just piping it into
batteries - and the general thought is to isolate your
systems so you've got one of each along side each
other - additionally, you get more juice into the
batteries the less wire it has to travel through.  in
my case, that's how my 1960 tradewind seems to be set
up.

> But do other things, for
> example the water pump or flourescent lights have to
> be 12 volt to have the
> required efficiency?

I think it might just be that you have to determine
your priorities on this one.  You might want to set
the whole trailer up as a 12 volt system since solar
power is LESS efficient (transferral-wise) and shore
power is so much cheaper, that running shore power
through a converter/inverter will, in the long run
(maybe even in the short run), save you money.  (IMHO)

Toby

p.s. here are the books I've been reading on the topic
and general energy conservation if you will - and a
couple good links.  some only partly relative.

Books:
Earthship 1,2,3 - Michael Reynolds
The Straw Bale House - Steen, Steen and Bainbridge

Links:
http://www.realgoods.com
http://www.rvsolarelectric.com
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/