[VAC] Solar power

I enjoyed reading about your travels "off the grid" and solar insights.  I
am hoping to find a small Airstream which needs to be brought back to life.
After following the very helpful comments on this and the Airstream list I
am wondering if a complete rewiring could include only a 120 volt system
with everything operating through an inverter.  With all due respect to Mark
I do not anticipate installing a 12 volt potty.  But do other things, for
example the water pump or flourescent lights have to be 12 volt to have the
required efficiency?  I'm picturing a setup where everything works exactly
the same whether switched to shore power or an inverter connected to
batteries and a solar charger.  Thanks.

Dick