[VAC] Simple Solar Solution (1 of 3)

Hi Guys,
Here are three of my postings about solar panels and written during the
Winter of 2000. If they are helpful to you - be my guest.
Terry Tyler
tylerbears@airstream.net
---------------------------

SIMPLE SOLAR SOLUTION

Originally, we began using solar power because of nostalgia for specific
primitive campsites in the state park system. Our most memorable times were
those early years in the 60s of tenting and tent trailering in NYS Parks
when we used a Coleman lantern and stove. We didn't have any need for
electrical power. Then, with our first travel trailer in 1965, we began
using deep cycle marine batteries in the trailer and when they became
discharged, connecting them to an auxilliary battery in our truck. This
started our search for a better way to recharge the trailer batteries every
day.

The best system occurred after we learned sunlight could be converted into
battery power. As conservative users of electricity, we found one solar
panel provided a generous flow of 12 volt power on sunny days. Unexpectedly,
we learned on rainy days, it generated sufficient 12 volt power to replenish
what was being used by the radio and lights. As our experience using
sunlight to recharge RV batteries evolved, we learned the following:

A - WITH TWO PEOPLE, ONE DEEP CYCLE MARINE RV BATTERY, ONE 53 WATT SOLAR
PANEL AND NO OTHER SOURCE OF POWER, WE HAD SUFFICIENT SOLAR POWER FOR:

1 - use of CB radio on emergency standby 6 hours daily,

2 - use of AM/FM radio during news and weather segments twice daily,

3 - use of one fluorescent light turned on from dusk to bedtime,

4 - use of water pump to wash selves and dishes, no showers and using
campground toilets occasionally,

5 - fully recharging one battery during daylight hours on either sunny or
rainy days.

6 - Use of a permanently mounted Solar Guard gauge showed incoming solar
power equaled consumption on rainy days and was greater than consumption on
sunny days.

B - WITH TWO PEOPLE, TWO DEEP CYCLE MARINE RV BATTERIES, TWO 53 WATT SOLAR
PANELS AND NO OTHER SOURCE OF POWER, WE HAD SUFFICIENT SOLAR POWER FOR:

1 - use of CB radio on emergency standby 24 hours daily,

2 - use of AM/FM radio and/or TV during news and weather segments three
times daily,

3 - use of 1 fluorescent light turned on from dusk to bedtime with minimal
use of 2nd fluorescent light,

4 - use of water pump to wash selves and dishes, to take two Navy showers
daily and to flush RV toilet,

5 - fully recharging two batteries during daylight hours on sunny days.

6 - two hours use of inverter during peak sun to operate low amp items, i.e.
computer, monitor & printer.

7 - Use of a permanently mounted Solar Guard gauge showed incoming solar
power equaled consumption on sunny days.

C - WITH TWO PEOPLE, THREE DEEP CYCLE MARINE RV BATTERIES, THREE 53 WATT
SOLAR PANELS AND NO OTHER SOURCE OF POWER, WE HAD SUFFICIENT SOLAR POWER
FOR:

1 - unrestricted use of the CB radio,

2 - use of AM/FM radio, TV or
video player two hours daily, plus limited use of cooling fans,

3 - use of 2
fluorescent lights turned on from dusk to bedtime with minimal use of 3rd
fluorescent light,

4 - use of water pump to wash selves and dishes, to take
two full showers daily and to flush RV toilet,

5 - fully recharging three
batteries during daylight hours on sunny days.

6 - three hours use of
inverter before and during peak sunlight to operate electronic equipment,
i.e. the bread making machine, microwave, computer, monitor, printer,
blender and electric drill.

7 - Use of a permanently mounted Solar Guard
gauge showed incoming solar power was greater than consumption on sunny
days.

D - WITH TWO PEOPLE, FOUR DEEP CYCLE MARINE RV BATTERIES, FOUR SOLAR PANELS
(THREE 53 WATT AND ONE 75 WATT) AND NO OTHER SOURCE OF POWER, WE HAD
SUFFICIENT SOLAR POWER FOR:

1 - unrestricted use of the CB radio,

2 -
unrestricted use of the AM/FM radio, TV, video player and cooling fans
daily,

3 - use of 3 fluorescent lights turned on from dusk to bedtime with
minimal use of 4th fluorescent light,

4 - use of water pump to wash selves
and dishes, to take two luxury showers daily and to flush RV toilet,

5 -
fully recharging four batteries during daylight hours on either sunny or
rainy days.

6 - four hours use of inverter before, during and after peak
sunlight to operate electronic equipment, i.e. bread making machine,
microwave, computer, monitor, printer, blender, electric drill and hair
dryer.

7 - Use of a permanently mounted Solar Guard gauge showed incoming
solar power was greater than consumption on either sunny or rainy days.

BOTTOM LINE -- Since using solar panels, abundant electricity has freed us
from utility poles. Life is short and we want it to be great no matter where
we are. With our simple solar solution, taking the road less traveled has
become an even more exciting way of life, especially with a restored Vintage
Airstream.