[VAC] Re: Getting Overlander Road-Ready

Greetings Terry!

Lack of turn signals could be as simple as bad bulbs or corroded contacts in
the rear fixtures.  A second possibility could be located in the trailer
pigtail Bargman connector - - a loose wire or corroded connections - - or it
could have been a problem with the bargman connector on the AAA tow truck.
There could also be a problem with the wires in the junction box found on
the
underbelly - - typically between the hitch and entrance door (usually
identifiable as a somewhat smallish piece of alumninum that may look like a
patch.

> Also any information on checking it out before I put it on the road
> would be helpful.

If you haven't already done so and are planning on camping in it
immediately,
it would be highly advisable to have a qualified RV service facility check
out
all of the propane using appliances - - cleaning and repairing as
necessary - -
there are numerous safety issues regarding proper cleaning/adjustment of
these
propane using devices.

While having the propane system checked, you might also want to have other
systems checked that you don't wish to repair yourself if a problem develops
first use such as:  water pump, water lines, toilet, etc.  To protect that
new
battery, you might want to have the power converter checked to be sure that
it
is charging in an acceptable manner.

If you have any reservations about the brake repairs, you might want to have
service facility check them out.  When I purchased my '64 Overlander the
previous owner had made a "do it yourself overhaul" of the brakes, but as it
turned out parts from several different types of electric brakes were used
which resulted in uneven braking and total destruction of one of my new
tires
when the brakes on one wheel caused it to periodically lockup.  The net
result
was that I ended up having new "loaded" backing plates installed with
complete
resurfacing of the drums to end up with road-safe brakes.

>      And  I need to get a hitch put on my van chev conver 350 c20 1989. or
> get something elset o pull with any suggestions there ?

The answer as to whether your Chevy Conversion van has the capacity to tow
your
Overlander depends upon its optional equipment.  If it came from the factory
with the heavy duty towing package including the 3.73 or 4.10 differential
gears you should be within limits.  If this is one of the conversion
specials,
you may find as I did that it will be marginal at best as it likely has a
3.07
or even a 2.73 differential which netted a 5,000 pound maximum towing
capacity
LESS the weight of the conversion, passengers, and cargo.  I would be highly
suspicious that your van likely does not have trailer towing equipment as
the
package usually included the platform hitch as well as the other towing
goodies.  The physical size of the van shouldn't pose any problem, but its
powertrain may not have sufficient capacity if it wasn't equipped from the
factory with towing in mind which many of the dealer stock conversion vans
were
not.  If you are not sure about the factory equipment, you can get a general
idea by checking the data plates on the van.  One should have the GCVWR
(Gross
Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) - - knowing this, you can weigh the van as
it
sits with full fluid levels and subtract this from the GCVR and get an
approximation of its tow rating.  There should be a broadcast sheet either
in
the glove box or some other location that a dealer can decode and tell you
precisely what differential gears as well as other important towing
equipment
was included on the van from the factory.  If the heavy duty trailering
equipment package wasn't included, you will need at the very least to add a
heavy duty transmission fluid cooler, heavy duty turn signal flasher,
electronic trailer brake controller, and Bargman car to trailer connector.

>      Do I need a lot of info or what?
>
> Terry A. Rockfield AS/BS/NARFE/CQE/ASQ/ANA/

Welcom to the world of Vintage Airstreaming.  You will find that the
Overlander
is becoming much more common among VAC members in recent years.  When I
first
joined nearly 5 years ago, my Overlander might be the only one at many
activities.  I am sure that there are close to a dozen listees who posess at
least one Overlander.

Good Luck with your project!

Kevin Allen - - WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban