[VAC] 1960 electrical

Haven't gotten too far into the electrical portion yet
- that comes after all the inside panels come out - I
hear alot about the intelli-power and the univolt -
can anybody with a 1960 or older tell me how the
charging system worked (in real general terms) in the
older ones?  was there a charger/converter/inverter of
some sort?  I guess I've always been under the
impression that the univolt came later.  It appears
that the previous owner of mine installed a loose
breaker box in the rear of mine near the blackwater
tank (1960 tradewind rear bath) but the original AC
power circuit came in through a standard female AC
socket that's sticking out of the curbside of my
trailer.

thanks - Toby