[VAC] Re: Removing Windows - 64 Globetrotter

The "flange" RJ is referring to is the drip edge over the window on the outside
of the trailer.  The screw is a short #6 pan head screw in the center of the
trailer half of the window hinge on the upper part of the hinge.

Before starting, I suggest you go to RJ's website restoration resources page:

WWW.vintageairstream.com/rr_home.html

Read the section on "Window Repair", there are a number of good pictures
as well as a lot of excellent instructions and hints.

On my '64 Ambassador, I just had the rear window re-glassed.  Here is how
I did it.  You will have to very gently lift the edge of the sheet metal
flange
drip edge over the screw and work the screw out with a pair of pliers as
the drip
edge extends just over the screw.

As RJ says, the first step is to remove the window actuator arms from the
window. To do this, you must open the window all the way.  From the outside
of the trailer, you will need to lift the window slightly higher than it is
when fully
open. The ends of the actuator arms have a small plastic slider that fits in a
track slot on either window frame side piece. Up near the top of the frame side
piece there is a small rectangular opening.  You will need to use a very small
screwdriver or tip of a pocket knife to coax the slider down out of the track.
This must be done for each actuator arm if the window has two actuators.
Be very careful not to damage the slider.

If you find the slider is broken, www.inlandrv.com has the sliders for about
$5.00 ea.  As the sliders are old,  made of a white plastic, they may be
broken
or may break due to brittleness from aging.

I lifted the drip edge (flange) with a pair of common screw drivers. The best
screw drivers to use are well worn, aprox 1/4" wide tip, well worn so no sharp
edges to scratch the aluminum).   Very gently insert the screwdrivers between
the flange and hinge several inches either side of the screw head.
They need to be just far enough from the screw so you can get on the head
of the screw with pliers.  I used a small pair of needle nosed vice grips,
I think
the smallest size Vice-Grip makes.

You will need to back the screw out a little more than 1/8th inch using the
pliers
to grip and turn the screw as the drip ledge will be covering the top of
the screw.
The screw may come out completely which is OK. Do not leave the screw drivers
holding the drip ledge up, remove the screwdrivers holding the drip edge up as
soon as possible so there is no chance of hitting one and damaging or kinking
the drip edge.

Lift the window up until it is parallel to the ground or slightly higher
and the
window hinge half should slide out of the trailer hinge half to either the
right
or left.  The window should slide very easily, if it doesn't,  make sure the
screw is backed out enough and rock the window up and down slightly while
trying to slide it right or left.

After the window is re glazed, or gaskets replaced, reverse the process to
reinstall it.

The whole operation is very simple to do after you have been through it once.
With a little practice, you can have a window out in 5 minutes, and
reinstall it
in another 5 minutes, not counting for time to do a little cleaning and other
maintenance you may find needing along the way.

TNX, 73, Mitch - WA1YKN