[VAC] Re: Removing Windows - 64 Globetrotter

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the info. I am not sure what the flange and slot are you
mentioned in your response. Here is the step-by-step of what I did. I
purchased both gray closed cell foam and black neoprene weather
stripping from Ace. Both had the same dimensions of 3/16" thick by 3/8"
wide. The original black foam rubber weather-stripping had severely
broken down and had plenty of cracks and channels to leak water. The
area of installation was  L shaped and completely flat, just a tad wider
than the foam. I scraped all the old foam out from the bottom of the L
shape using a sharp paint scraper on the aluminum. I cleaned up any
debris/glue residue with acetone and then washed the area. The sticky
backed tape went down beautifully and when I closed the window I could
see a GREAT seal all around. I also felt less of a need to crank down
the window and risk stripping the turning handle. We had heavy rain and
wind a few days later and all was dry inside. BUT I noticed the gray
closed cell foam was spongy and had held water, the black was bone dry.
I re-stripped the window with the gray and applied the black. Now I am
going to remove the windows and the top edge after your advice. This was
an easy project that required few tools, little expense and can be done
one window at a time. The end result is I feel I have an excellent seal
around my windows now. I always take pictures with my digital and could
put together a step-by-step if anyone need the guidance. This is not
hard at all.

I have 2 other projects I have photo documented and would be glad to
publish if anyone is interested:

1) The addition of 3 low profile (invisible from down below) solar
panels to the top of my 64 globetrotter and wiring the charge controller
inside.

2) Converting the gray/black tank connector from non-standard
bayonet/frying pan to the modern valterra type fitting. This allows me
to easily use a sewer solution connector for emptying the black water
and to route gray water directly to a blue tank I place under the back
of the trailer,

Thanks!

Charles