[VAC] Re: Notes on tires

Chris,
I believe that by the time Airstream started producing the 31' Sovereign
that tire sizes were fairly standardized. Most of the odd sized tires and
clearance issues came with the smaller, older trailers. I don't know if your
trailer originally came with radials or bias plys, but most people find that
radials are the way to go. I can almost guarantee that your trailer did NOT
leave the factory with light truck tires. While they are designed to be used
on trucks they are not designed to for use on trailers. However many people
do use them because they are a less expensive alternative, but there is
something better...

A tire with the letters ST designate that it was made for a trailer. The
most common size (and the one that I believe that will fit your trailer) is
ST 225/75R15. I would recommend a load range rating of "D". While some
people do not like them, I have found Goodyear Marathon tires to be very
satisfactory. I believe that Airstream used them for many years. Goodyear
did have a "silent" recall on the Marathons (and may still have). When I
took my tires in for replacement I was treated very well. They replaced my 4
year old tires and gave me new ones for just a labor and balancing charge.
FYI, I have been towing my trailer for over 20 years. Having good tires is
cheep insurance.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander