[VAC] Notes on tires plus apologies

Hi everyone,

Happy Holidays!

<red-faced>  I apologize for sending not one, but two responses to
private e-mail to the mailing list.   I'm terribly mortified.

In order to provide some value to the list instead of plea's for help
and mis-sent e-mails, here are some of my notes on tires:

I recently purchased an 31' Airstream Sovereign trailer.  It has been
sitting for 5+ years.   According to several posts to VAC and other
mailing lists, tires should be replaced if they have a) been sitting for
5 years or more or b) their provenance is unknown.  Failure to do so can
result in spectactular blowouts.

http://www.tompatterson.com/AirstreamList/MHonArc/2000_08/msg00111.html
http://www.rv-coach.com/newsgroup/mechanics_corner/messages/5932.html
http://www.rv-coach.com/newsgroup/mechanics_corner/messages/5950.html

The sidewalls of the currently installed tires are imprinted with the
following code:

7.00 x 15LT

According to several excellent tutorials on tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size.htm
http://www.nj.com/sites/etd/passengertiresizing.html
http://www.yokohamatire.com/04a1a.html
http://www.off-road.com/hummer/tech/bias-radial-tech.html

the code above means the following:

7.00 = cross section width of the tire in inches
15 = rim diameter in inches
LT = light truck

This seems to be a fairly uncommon size.  However, in the Bay Area, I
found that the following store carries them:

Redwood General in Redwood City sells 6-ply, 7.00 x 15LT tires for
$64.95 each.  (650) 369 0351.

I've not towed a trailer before, and the above is just what I've found
online--corrections are welcome.  Thanks again for all your help.

Chris