[VAC] ISPs

Title: ISPs
Hi ollphiast@aol.com,

I've used Earthlink/Mindspring for the last dozen or so years. My November2001 bill was $21.95 for unlimited time with local numbers and $2.50  for time on the 800 number (52 minutes @ 4.8 cents a minute). During November, we stayed at 10 different campgrounds. Most of them were well off the beaten path, prompting me to use the 800 number.

I subscribe to Earthlink because of its ease of use and the numerous support personnel who have been quickly accessible, who haved been highly knowledgable about how their software blends with the software in my Macintosh and who have been quick witted when it came to offering solutions which actually worked.

Over the years, I've tried four ISPs. In the 80s, Delphi was big, but accessing them required typing specific programming language each time I accessed our local user's group bulletin board.  Prodigy seemed clumsy and non-intuitive although I have only used it with a friend's computer.  Previously, I used AOL (Version 3) for a year, but the support people seemed to be still writing the script on how to answer questions. I'm sure, with Version 7 being offered today, they are better at it now.

From my limited experience, the Mindspring support people provided the most useful help. One time, they even called ME back to make sure their solution worked. Later, when Mindspring joined Earthlink, I stayed and joined them, too.  Last week I asked for their help with my Mom's computer.  Not only did the Earthlink guy (HugoO) provide quick insight into the problem (via instant messaging), but he sent my Mom an email of the entire conversation for reference as she dealt with the problem. She replied and gave him permission to have an extra piece of pie.

We have friends who use other ISPs and are very satisfied. If you have the time and inclination, why don't you try using several different ISPs? All of them have an introductory offer of a month or so with free minutes. You will quickly learn which ISPs use invasive software that's difficult to remove and which ISPs support personnel mesh with your personal style and knowledge level.

Incidentally, Earthlink customer support is on an 800 number with a real person (8 minutes is longest wait I've experienced), as well as on the website with a real person via instant messaging (2 minutes is longest wait I've experienced), plus they have the usual FAQ page (downloadable).

Like other ISP's, Earthlink has thousands of local numbers around the country. Each year, I download onto my hard drive the current listing (and delete last year's listing) of all the local phone numbers in each of the states.  No matter where we are on the continent, it's easy for me to find and add the new local number to my "remote access" screen BEFORE taking my laptop to a phone jack (Flying J Restaurant, relative's home phone, Campground Recreation Hall, and "other" locations).

In towns when there are no local numbers, I use Earthlink's 800 number where the charge is for minutes used. When on the 800 number, I do flash sessions exclusively. Five minutes a session is usually sufficient.  On days when we're traveling, I try to log on for two flash sessions (AM & PM).

Because of subscriptions to several email discussion groups, I receive 200 or more new emails each day. Reading them quickly is courtesy of a grade school teacher who taught me to speed read.  The laptop usually takes 3-4 minutes to receive the emails (unless there are pictures).  Sending two or three replies a day takes about half a minute. For us, the cost of using the 800 number is minimal. When traveling, my email has occasionally piled up for three days (812 postings). That quantity didn't  overload Earthlink's system.  This might be a factor to consider.

Using a library computer is okay, but I routinely archive emails with pictures and quick time movies sent by our kids, our relatives and our traveling friends. Plus, it's far easier for my fingers to dance on a keyboard where I know how to access everything (well - almost everything).

I know this is more than you asked for. Perhaps some of it will be useful. Take what you want and trash the rest.  If you haven't looked into the new PDAs (16 MB, cell phone etc.), you might want to put those into the mix. Redundancy has saved our bacon more than once.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@mac.com