[VAC] Re: 6 volt vs 12 volt???

Stuart and Bonnie,

Without knowing a bit more about your trailer, I would not attempt to power
the 12 volt running/driving/directional/brake lights off the car's 6 volt
system.
However, there is a simpler fix if you are only going to tow with the '46 Merc,
change the bulbs in the trailer external lights used while driving to 6
volt bulbs.
Do not change the bulbs in internal lights that run off the trailer's 12
volt battery.
Do not hook up the plus 12Vdc between the trailer battery and the car
battery/charging system... This would be a certain disaster. (just don't
run the
wire from the battery to the connector on the car).  You will have to find
a heavy duty 6 Vdc flasher  for the car.

If you plan to tow the trailer with both a vehicle with a 12 Vdc electrical
system
and the '48 Merc, this becomes a lot more complicated however, it can be done.
You will have to make or find someone to make for you a control box that uses
the trailer 12 Vdc battery to power the lights, but is controlled by the
'48 Merc
6 volt trailer hookup. Years ago, this would be done with relays, but now
days is better done with FET transistors.  There may be a commercial
control device
available... Its a area I have not had to pursue in quite a few years.

Merry Chrristmas...

Mitch Hill - WA1YKN