[VAC] Re: winter towing

Hi All,

I've watched this thread for some time and observed all the contradictory
advice.  At one time, I thought the big rig drivers were disabling the cab
brakes per information that the Virginia DMV was putting out.  Having the
trailer brakes only prevented the rig from jackknife.  Now I don't know if I
really understand what I thought I understood? :)

Anyway, a fellow up the street drives a big rig for a living and told me
that he never wants the trailer brakes to lock.  He says it's the surest way
to have the trailer pass the puller.  Gave me lots of time for thought.

So, how do you disable the trailer brake when the situation occurs?  Be
ready to turn the gain to "0"?  The Kelty-Hayes couldn't be disabled?  Would
the ABS for the rear release the trailer brakes?

Which brings me to my 2002 puller with ABS on disk brakes all around.  The
wheels will turn rather than lock up and slide, allow steering, etc.

Don't know about the past rationale for getting the puller into neutral to
prevent the pusher wheels from driving through the braking (locked front
wheels - power on the rear).  Is the ABS smart enough to know that a wheel
is spinning too fast, or is it the limited slip differential that takes care
of the condition.

There's lots of discussion about snow and black ice; however, I understand
that the water on the Florida sun baked roads is just as bad?

Why does the vehicle always seem to speed up when the tires lose traction on
ice?

All these problems to resolve and I've not got my Safari on the road.

                                           '69 Safari, Joy