[VAC] Re: creen door

Hello VAC members,

Bonnie and I would like to thank everyone again that helped alert us to the
eBay auction for a door and screen door. The seller didn't know what year it
came off of but a close look at Ed and Sandy Lewis's '68 and a verification
from Greg at Inland RV confirmed that a '68 screen should fit! We bought it
without knowing the year. When it arrived we took it directly to Sonrise RV
in Escondido, Ca. where it's being worked on and put it on the trailer, sort
of, and it looks corect in all aspects.

Later at home we drilled out some rivets and rmoved the screen for repair and
cleaning. Then we tried to remove the hinge from the door. On our '65 there
is no set pin holding the main hinge pin in place. But on the '68 there is!
If ever you have to remove this  set pin...contact us and we'll give you the
details on how to pursuade it out.

When the set pin was out we expected to be able to get out the main hinge
pin. That was not to be! After several hours of tapping then banging on it
from both directions...it hadn't moved a bit! Then when I hit my thumb with
the hammer...we gave up. It's now at the local welders and perhaps a little
heat and the proper punch will get it out.

It looks like we will put the '68 door on our rig since our door had been
drilled out for a conventional lockset therby weakening the aluminum frame
which is cracked at both sides. The new door has no such cracks. It does,
however have a dent and small hole in it. Man you just can't win!

Getting the correct screen door was possibly the greatest obstacle in our
path and you can imagine our pleasure in obtaining that part. Thanks again,
Stuart and Bonnie.