[VAC] Draining Water Heater for Winter

Hi, I've been looking at Tom Patterson's pages about winterizing and
everyone speaks of using the RV antifreeze.  I live just north of Houston
and we don't have the bad winters that some people do.  We do know how to
drain the lines by raising and lowing the trailer. This worked for us last
yr although we had a mild winter. We did just get a new hot water heater and
we're not sure how to drain it.  Is there a trick to it?
Also we might take a trip to California and wonder, if we encounter some
freezing weather, do we need to drain everything. Our furnace pilot doesn't
light but the fan motor does run.  If we run the electric heater will that
furnace fan recirculate the warm air thru the ducts that go around the lines
and tanks?  We have 73 overlander.
Would appreciate any advise.
DANA