[VAC] Re: Stick shift pullers

OK, Oliver--I generally tend to agree with your posts, but here's some of
your anticipated flack. I've towed lots with both sticks and autos. I agree
that modern autos, if and only if cooled with the biggest cooler you can
fit, equal the longevity of sticks, and tow well. Still, I prefer sticks,
esp. for towing. The key is a torquey engine, such as the Ford 300 6, a good
low gear ratio, and the knowledge and skill to know when and how to shift,
and how to mimimize clutch slippage and maximise clutch service. I've sold
vehicles with well over 200,000 miles on them, still with the original
clutch in good shape. Why do I prefer sticks? More torque to the road, more
engine braking and more control over the engine braking, better gas milage
(no, you don't see melted autos on the road, because the heat produced by
the slippage is dissipated by those big trans coolers we're always talking
about--and that's energy that a stick shift vehicle uses to get better
milage) and most of all, smoother downshifting at high engine speeds. To get
the last benefit, you have to know how to double-clutch, but the result is
no lurching upon downshifting, and virtually no wear on the clutch in the
process. In fact, if you're good at double-clutching, you can forgo using
the clutch altogether for shifting gear to gear, as semi drivers routinely
do. Also, by double-clutching, you can ALWAYS downshift, even at speeds
higher than an automatic will let you access a lower gear. In short, in a
properly equipped vehicle with skilled driver, sticks give you more control.
And if you add up all the costs of coolers, trans temp guages, transmission
flushes, etc., a carefully driven stick is cheaper to tow with in the long
run. Automatics, if properly cooled and equipped with a trans temp guage,
are fine, too, though. I just wouldn't dissuade someone from using a stick
if so inclined. But you ARE right that if you're not interested in learning
how to use a stick right, you can burn clutches up very fast, get terrible
performance, and be far better off with an auto.

Dan
75 Argosy
86 Caprice Wagon, 4 spd AOD