[VAC] Re: Tow vehicle, 6 cyl and stick

This in answer to Stewart & Bonnie re tow vehicles, 6 cyl . and stick shift.

Sounds to me like the Jeep Wagoneer is trouble looking for a place to
happen.  They are great vehicles but not if your buying someone else's
troubles. There are lots of good used vehicles out there.

As to towing with a stick shift and a six banger, with the right
combination it will work great.   I tow a '64 Airstream Ambassador
International with a 1986 Ford F150 4X4 with 4 speed stick and the 300ci
(4.9L) long stroke 6 cyl engine.

I bought this truck brand new from local dealer in 1986, I have been towing
antique auto trailers, equipment trailers and Cummins powered wood chippers
(You know, the noisy things that chew up trees about as big as you can put
your arms around) and other farm trailers/equipment off and on for the past
16 years with it.  The truck runs about 16 MPG around town, 17-18 MPG on
the road
and 12 MPG with the '64 Ambassador behind it.

Now you have to realize, I am out here on the east coast in Southern New
England, central Cape Cod to be exact.   We don't have mountains to speak
of, mostly 1000- 1500 ft. high bumps in the Massachusetts turnpike.  About
3 of these bumps on the MA turnpike are high enough to slow the truck
towing the Ambassador down to 50 MPH in high gear. On Rt 495 and most other
major roads in the area the rig maintains a comfortable 65 Mph without much
laboring, Its pretty comfortable at 65 Mph,  seems to settle in a groove
about 67 Mph.

If I were to tow across country up through the Rockies or any other sizable
mountain range, I would want more engine, at least a 350 Ci V8 or bigger
but definitely coupled to a stick shift. (I have done the Rockies between
Washington State and Montana with a 6 cyl Dodge stick shift and pickup
camper, that was a grind!!!).

However, I am very happy with this truck after 16 years, it has cost me far
less to maintain than any other vehicle I have owned.  I have been looking
at newer trucks, but after looking at price tags,  I keep chugging along in
my '86 6 cyl.  Hey, it does the job... However, I know where there is a
nice 1989 F350 4X4, 351 Ci V8, and 5 speed stick shift pickup truck, who
knows,  Christmas is coming....

One word of caution about older vehicles with hitches, don't tow anything
until you know the hitch is sound...   I put a new Draw-Tite Class III / IV
receiver hitch on this '86 F150 in 1992, and while servicing the truck to
tow the Ambassador back 150 miles from Western MA.  this fall,  I was
alarmed at the amount of rust on the side plates of the hitch. I took a
hammer and wrapped the rusty spot on the driver's side plate, and it
disintegrated.  So help me, I had a hole in it that was 90% of the height
of the side plate just ahead of where the cross piece is welded on.  I took
the hitch off the truck, the weight of the side frame caused it to just
fold over on the ground, there was not enough metal left for it to support
its own weight.  I am sure glad I found this before hitching up the trailer
for the 150 mile trip to the cape.  Solution, the truck now has a new Reese
37034 Class III / IV receiver hitch, far cheaper than a wrecked trailer...

Please be careful of older hitches!!!    It pays to inspect your hitch !!!

Mitch Hill - WA1YKN / AFA1HN
'64 Ambassador International
fmhill@capecod.ma.ultranet.com