[VAC] Re: I Found Bolts!

Gerald,
 You're right about power efficiency, but air tools are very efficient
from the aspect of size/weight, plus they stay cool under hard use. And
if you squirt a bit of oil into the air inlet every time you use them,
they'll last a long, long time, with lots of abuse that electric tools
won't handle.

Things like grinders will keep my 5HP Gardner-Denver compressor running
100% of the time if I keep the air tool humming. Mind you, this isn't
one of these new "High HP" compressors that run on 120VAC, this is a
true 5HP 3-Phase motor and a 20 CFM @ 100 PSI pump. However, since
getting that compressor 20+ years ago, I've bought nearly no electric
power tools, much preferring the air-powered equivilants. Grinders,
drills, even saws now fill the power tool drawers. I even bought an
air-powered pop riveter, just the ticket when repairing the trailer.

One thing that I do to all my air tools is add a "whip" to the air
inlet. This is a hose about 18" long, attached to a barb at the tool,
with a barb-type air fitting on the other end, using crimped hose
clamps. Doing this makes the tool much nicer to use, especially in
cramped quarters such as under/inside your A/S, plus makes the tool
somewhat less prone to damage.

                                             <<Jim>>