[VAC] Re: vent covers, A/C, & bed

Jim,

I believe that vent cover replacements are available for all vent sizes used
on Airstreams. Try either P&S (419)638-6261 or Inland RV (800)877-7311.
Inland also has a website. I believe that what you want is called an
Astrodome, but be sure to give them the measurement of the vent opening and
the year of your unit. One list member recently had a bad experience with a
cover from Inland, but this is not normal.

Several list members have removed a vent to add A/C to their unit. Sometime
in the 60's Airstream started prewiring their coaches for A/C. Charlie Burke
can let you know if your '63 Tradewind is one of these and exactly where you
will find the wiring, and if your roof is already reinforced to hold the A/C
unit. If so you may not need to sacrifice a vent to have A/C. Some owners of
smaller (16-19 foot) Airstreams do not think that their trailers look
correct with an A/C unit on top. They have been inventive with locating a
cooling unit elsewhere.

As for converting the mid twin beds to one large bed. I have done this with
my 60 Overlander. My wife and I love the king sized bed that this gives us.
The only problem is that when someone else camps with us they cannot get to
the bathroom in the middle of the night! I attached two rails to the twin
bed cabinetry. We have 4 removable platforms that sit on the rails (and
store nicely in the rear closet). Then 2 foam pieces to match the twin
mattresses fit right into place. During the day these are stored on the beds
and cause the twins to resemble day beds.

Scott
'60 Overlander