[VAC] Re:

RJ,

Thanks for those words of encouragement.  I too am rather surprised that more companies are not working with the Airstream trailers as restoration projects.  There were only @ 12K GMC coaches ever produced and it has proven to be a large enough market for us as well as other specialty houses.  Many parts have been reproduced and many have been updated and reinvented to help keep the GMC motorhome on the road and viable.

I can tell by the questions and responses here on this list that there are many folks looking to better their units.  There is a GMC mailing list at www.gmcmotorhome.com that sounds very much like this one.  It has a base of @ 500 subscribers that are very active.  There are "lurkers" reading posts and soaking in as much knowledge as they can.  I am sure this is not unlike the list here.

The future of any specialty vehicle is in the ability to replace worn out components with original or updated parts.  I hope I will be able to source the parts I will need to resurrect my Tradewind.

BTW, being new to this unit, it seems that most of the direction of the restoration projects is toward correct original.  While we do that sort of work with regard to the GMC, I find more interest, especially from the newer owners, in the updating of systems.  Textures, colors, materials, electronics, appliances and conveyances.  I followed the thread about adding satellite TV, this is the sort of stuff many of my customers seek out.  I have a cartoon on the wall in my garage that shows a beautiful model T passing a blown "T" bucket on the road, the caption says, "Lousy butcher, silly purest".  I find there is room for a little of both in restoring vehicles like GMC motorhomes, I expect that to be true with the Airstream trailers.  What do you think?

We started sealing up the exterior today.  The rectangular vent toward the front of the unit is cracked, I assume this is the one that you are talking about having made.  There are no vents offered from any of my vendors that will work.  I was thinking of making something out of Plexiglass, maybe add a "starlight" fiber optic night sky reproduction in the cap.  This type of treatment is found in many of the "monster" Prevost custom coaches.  Is this sort of renovation being offered?

In Florida, you're nuts if you don't have the biggest ice cube blower to help you to keep from melting in the summer.  What does VAC feel about perching a Penguin or a 15K Briskair in place of the 14x14 vent?

I was thinking of installing inserts when desired to make the twin beds a big one is desired.

I have access to powder coating at reasonable prices, thought about renewing some trim pieces using that process.

Sure wish I could jump right in to the trailer but it will have to go at a measured pace, I will have to pay the bills while I do the job.

I think I will be prepared at the end of this project to take on other Airstreams so let me know if someone is looking for something special.

What parts are obsolete on the trailers?  Maybe I can help through my suppliers to find suitable replacements or upgrades.

Jim Bounds