[VAC] Re: Cork Floor

Thanks !

Cork is an upscale flooring material that sort of goes in and out of
fashion.  My parents have had a cork floor in their kitchen for 30 years
and all of it mistreated. It looks good as new.  Their floor is 12" cork
tiles with a thick clear ?plastic? ?vinyl? coating on the wear surface.
The was on the tile before installation.

My tiles look like bulletin boards, but have a thin coating to protect
the surface while installing. Two coats of two part urethane are next.

The benefits of cork : sound proofing, soft under foot, easy to clean,
insulating, and "natural". I think it is ideal.  Easy to clean, and if
it gets scuffed, another coat of urethane will fix it.

The materials cost me $625, which included glue, urethane, and having
the 24"x 12" tiles cut to 12"x12". Also, the guy runs his business from
his pocket, and everytime I had a question, it was answered promptly.

One thing that is a bore is filling the plywood subfloor.  the cork will
"telegraph" any imperfections on the subfloor to the surface. Of course,
you can't ever really see them all until you are applying the glue....

I would do it again in a minute.

Daisy