[VAC] Re: black tank removal

How long is an overlander?  Frame separation is typically associated with
the near 30 foot units after 1969 when Beatrice Foods took over and gray
water tanks were added  in the area of the aft bath.

If the floor is rotted out completely along the aft, there's lots of
structure compromised and you'll have to attend to this while in the process
of working on the holding tank.

I wouldn't be too hasty to say that the holding tank is fine from the damage
you indicate is present.

Since  you mentioned cross braces under the holding tank housing, your unit
might be similar to my '69 Safari.  However, I realize that the bathroom
layout and the location of the galley are important considerations also.  If
you can describe these, I might be able to help you.  Well, most likely
there's a lot of help on the VAClist.

Saving fittings/pipes is a critical part of the replacement of the holding
tank.  In my case, I couldn't separate the halves of the dump valve and had
to do some severe chopping to get the tank loose.  Meaning that I had one
hell of a time reinstalling the holding tank.  To make matters better, I had
to remove the entire bathroom so I could do justice to replacing the floor
and restoring the frame members that were totally rusted out in the rear.
It's a big deal if the floor along the skin is rotted out!

The VAClist has been over these things a zillion times, but I enjoy writing
about it/sending pictures.  Contact me off list at joytbrew@patriot.net if
you want to ask questions that might be redundant to other list
participants.

                                                    '69 Safari, Joy