[VAC] Re: Insulation

Hi, Joy. No, I didn't take pictures, unfortunately, but the installation was
straightforward. I simply pulled the old antenna off, the installed the dish
in the same spot.

Check the clearance of the lowered dish with any vents in the area before
you decide to do that. Mine (32' Sov) fit well in that spot.

The base of the new antenna is larger than the old one, so you have to use
plenty of caulking, and drill new holes and install new rivets (or use the
screws included with the dish). Centering the dish in the hole is best done
by two people, one underneath guiding the one outside. No need to get on
top, as a ladder, padded and set along either the window frame or against a
board across two ribs will get you up high enough to work on it.

Another one is that the hole in the inner shell may have to be enlarged to
allow the shaft for the elevating mechanism to fit. This I did after the
installation was complete (didn't check it before I buttoned it up), but
some nippers and a nibbler took care of that.

To run the wiring (can't use the old antenna cable), you have to pull the
center section of the shell off. On my '76, there is a trim piece at the
front end of the trailer that slips off the end of the panel, then the panel
is 'spring fit' into channels on each side. After removing the light covers,
antenna crank and any other trim pieces as far back as is needed, reach up
and pull the middle of the front end of the panel down and you will see it
start to come out of the channels.

Wearing gloves, you can then work your way back and remove the panel. I
didn't have to go all the way, just far enough to clear the cable that runs
to the street side and down to the antenna connection on the street side
wall.

The panel will curve enough, without buckling, to let you lay it back out of
the way. The old cable is secured by a couple of clips which are easily
removable and replaced when the new cable is installed. You might want to
wear a hat and some sort of eye protection, as stuff is going to fall out of
the ceiling.

You'll have to fish from the edge of the street side panel down to the spot
you want the cable to come out. I used a regular fish tape, but have also
used old speedometer cables for this. The latter would work better, as you
don't have to fish, pull a string, and then pull the cable. I left the old
connection plate in, as I want to keep the 12V connector. Just coil the old
antenna cable up and leave it in the overhead.

The dish kit comes with a plate and feed through for the new cable, so I
drilled a hole large enough for the feed through, and pulled the cable out
there, connected it, and fastened the plate to the wall.

The model I bought also had an elevation sensor, so I pulled that wiring
through with the coax, but mounted it separately, just above the old 12V
connection. Another hole to drill.

All in all, it was not difficult. Took about 4 hours to do, feeling my way
through the process.

My trailer is now at Oasis having some work done, but when I get it back
this weekend, I can take some pictures if you'd like.

Bob