[VAC] Re: heaters

I must say that it is nice to finally read a post on a topic I have had some
experience with!  I just bought a 68 Overlander a few weeks ago and am
currently overhauling the furnace.  My, but don't those mud-daubers love an
old Suburban furnace!

I agree strongly with all the warnings posted.  CO detector alarms are load
as the bells of Hades.  This is because many victims are apparently found in
a state suggesting that they were trying to escape, but couldn't manage to
function.  Early warning is essential.

Having said this, you'll want to pull the unit out, no matter what you do.
Take it apart and probe the fire box vigorously.  Mine obviously saw little
use and is sound, although numerous seals and other things need replacement
elsewhere to avoid (clean) air leaks.

I think a new unit has problems of it's own.  Can you find one that doesn't
require new duct work to fit it in place?  Can you find one with a SS fire
box?  I doubt it in both cases.  If anyone has good info about this, please
advise.

I am from a long blood line of HVAC servicemen and inveterate  cheapskates.
So, I'll probably make this one work for awhile.  But, if it won't pass
muster, I think I'll go with a catalytic.  I don't think RV furnaces have
been improved all that much in 30 years (except for auto-ignition) and the
cat heater uses no electricty.

So, does anyone have any good advice about the selection, placement and
operation of cat heaters?  Is condensation problematic?  Is heat
distribution OK?  How many BTUs are suggested?