[VAC] Re: CO Detector

According to the fire consultant at a recent rally, CO disperses rather
evenly throughout the available space and the detector location is less
height specific than propane...

Apparently trace amounts of CO can cause a lot of damage.  One of my
co-workers was taking his wife to the hospital for brain scans etc to try
to find out why she was getting such headaches... To make it shorter, there
was a crack in the heat exchanger on his home furnace... the furnace was
located in a mud room next to the back door... He was out of the house all
day and showed no signs of the problem, she was home all day and thought
she had a brain tumor or something....

The mechanism is apparently replacement of the O2 in the bloodstream with
CO... blood likes the CO molecule as much or more than the O2... just no
longer able to support the body...

I am a strong proponent of not messing with an old furnace... We just
changed the one in the house.. It was around 15 years old and showed no
real problems... We probably would have kept it a few more years, but while
adding AC, changing out the old unit seemed the way to go...

Jim Clark

jec1938@corecomm.net