[VAC] Re: transmission discussions

As a newcomer to the Airstream world, the transmission discussion is pretty
disturbing.  I have a '95 E250, which has had the transmission rebuilt once
already--before I even owned a trailer. This also, was an E4OD.  Ford's
"customer service" wasn't exactly inspiring (some might consider it totally
lame), and I was left wondering what the world has come to when nobody is
surprised to see a transmission failure on a 3/4 ton truck at less than
70,000 miles.  From the discussion, it seems that mine was not an isolated
experience.

It seems impractical to tow a trailer in 3rd gear.  I don't have a
tachometer, but by ear, 50mph seems to be the limit for how fast you'd want
to go in 3rd.  That's great going up a hill, but here in SC, you can cause a
considerable disturbance just by driving the speed limit (70 mph on the
interstate).

I am planning to install a temp gage and filter (just got them, thanks to
the helpful postings).  But, I am quickly reaching the conclusion that the
solution is a manual transmission.

Jon
68 Overlander