[VAC] Re: Installing a trans temp gauge

Ed,
 "Beefing up" an automatic transmission usually involves adding a "shift
kit" or replacing the valve body with a modified unit. The shift kit
includes a bunch of parts that go into the VB that change the shifting
characteristics and increase the line pressure to prevent slippage under
heavy loads.

The only kit I'm personally familiar with is the one that I installed in
my Dodge's tranny. It's by "TransGo", and had a couple of different
springs and a different valve spool. Installation involved drilling out
some holes in the VB seperator plate to allow faster fluid flow so
shifts would occur quicker. These were very subtle, such as "drill this
orifice out to .093" from the .045" stock size", etc. Also, there was a
hole to be drilled in the one VB part to allow oil flow through the
cooler while the selector is in "Park". Line pressure was increased from
the stock 70 PSI to over 100 PSI.

All in all, it took me most of the day to disassemble the VB, putting
all the parts in muffin tins with labels, drill out the appropiate
orifices, and reassemble it. It's only a couple-hour job for someone
who's done it before and doesn't need to work up the courage first.
<<grin>>

Shifts are now quite noticeable and solid. TCC lockup feels like a shift
to 5th gear instead of taking the better part of a second to occur. I
was told that I'd like the results; I do.

                                          <<Jim>>