[VAC] Question about generators

For those of you who do a lot of boondocking like me, how can I justify more
than a 4000 watt generator if I only use a 30 AMP plug.  30X120=3600.  The
only way I see to get more out of a larger generator is to hook up multiple
plugs for accessories not connected to the 30 AMP service plug.  Am I
thinking straight here? I bought a Generac 4000XL that does everything I ask
and has a surge of 5000 watts, but I see larger ones doing the same thing
and the owners claim they have more power. Without the AC or Microwave, I
can see even a lower requirement.  My generator has a 30 AMP female that I
converted to the three prong RV type.
Randy