[VAC] Re: Xmission Coolers

Hi Terry,

I just purchased a F250 super duty p.s. diesel crew cab as a hauler for my
'69 Safari.  I planned to go larger when I get more experience under my
belt.  I did get the towing package with the truck.  If you also had the
towing package with your F350, I might have the same problem - sure hope
not.  I went against the advice of the list and purchased the auto tranny
rather than the 6 speed straight.

Now, I have to learn what gear to tow with.  With a 3K#s utility trailer
with small hills here in southern VA, it handled most of it without
downshifting.  Guess my Safari at 4.5K#s would be a different story.  I had
thoughts of just watching the tranny temp and notion to shift to choose the
proper towing range.  Pretty simple with a touch of the overdrive button! :)

Might be a bit off subject, but some time ago there was a lot of discussion
about exhaust brakes and chip changes for the P.S. Diesel.  The owner's
manual warns in the opening pages that these changes can damage the engine
and void the warranty! :(

I'm happy with the F250 except for the definitely TRUCK ride.  Almost need a
kidney belt!  Got 19 mpg on the first trip with vary speed and 16 mpg towing
the 3K#s utility trailer.  Hope to do as well with the '69 Safari.

Thanks for bringing your experience to the list as it surely helps me plan
for a future towing experience.

                                     '69 Safari, Joy