[VAC] Re: Smart Tire System

I just got off the phone with Shelley Lammers at Smart Tire. I had inquired
about sources to purchase the product. She suggested the places listed below
but indicated that www.tirerack.com has "good" prices. These are the only
sources for the Generation II Smart Tire system. Note that the Generation II
system is for motor vehicles only -- not trailers -- she emphasized. For
trailers, one should use the first product developed, the Generation I
system. Those theoretically are available through Sears and National Tire
and Battery, although she said she didn't think either would install them on
a trailer. The Smart Tire part number for the Gen I system from Sears and
NT&B is 95214. The paranoid among us can install a Gen I system in the
trailer tires and a Gen II system in the puller's tires. You wind up with
two monitor/displays because the systems operate on different frequencies.
Shelley suggested ordering  either  system from the Tire Rack and having it
installed locally.

I'm thinking about a Gen I system for my Tradewind and using an optional
monitor when I'm towing that plugs into the pickup's cigarette lighter
according to the web site.

Jim Greene
Atlanta