[VAC] Re: A/S and Internet

At last a question I can answer! You'll need a phone extension cable
long enough to get from the iMac modem cable to the phone socket where
you're camping, and an account with an Internet Service Provider. And
110V power to the iMac of course...

I don't know about American ISPs, but here there are lots that offer
free access. Most supply an installer CD that works on Mac and PC (it
has two sets of software on it) and the software is generally easy to
install and will configure itself

The simplest way to do email on the road is to use a free web-based
email system like Hotmail or Yahoo. That way it doesn't matter where you
are or which ISP you connect through - your email is accessed via the web.

As the previous respondent said, AOL and Compuserve offer dial-in access
virtually everywhere (even world-wide), and can be a good bet for use
when travelling, but they use their own proprietary systems that
sometimes make life more difficult than it needs to be.

You should be able to find an ISP that offers local-call-rate dial-up
over the whole country. Here we do it with one phone number that covers
the country (an 0845 number) but I don't know if you have that where you
are. The advantage is that you setup the system to dial one number and
don't have to change it, no matter where you are. If your ISP is not
National, or has different local access numbers depending on your
location, you'll spend more time fiddling with it (changing access
numbers) than you want to

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk