[VAC] app weight of a 1978 31 foot Landyacht?

Jack,

In my view, the biggest advantage of a 1972 is that it has none of the power
robbing pollution controls.

It's my recollection the 390 CID and dual exhausts go hand in hand for
increased power.  Plus, engine timing can be changed manually.

The E250 suspension is another advantage. There have been occasions when
certain floor plans in a 31' Airstream are heavier on the hitch than
advertised.  My 1977 31' Airstream weighs 1100 pounds on the hitch (weight
verified by "Away We Go" certified scales at the Florida Airstream Rally in
Sarasota). I've found that my Van's E250 suspension is sufficient for
dealing with that much weight.

The "Camper Special" options suggests your truck has the correct rear axle
ratio for towing. That's a big plus.  It probably has the big mirrors, too.

The transmission oil cooler may need upgrading to cope with an 8600 pound
'78 31' Airstream (my '77 31' Airstream weighs 8600 pounds).

On my 1978 Ford Van E250 with 460 CID V8, the standard 10,000#  transmission
oil cooler was insufficient, so I went to a 30,000# oil cooler and have had
no problem  with the transmission (for 24 years and close to 300,000 miles).

If it was me and if I was otherwise confident with all associated systems in
the truck, I'd give it a try. There isn't a large dollar investment to rig
your 1972 truck with the hitch and electrical connector.

If you don't like the performance, you can always assign the truck to
occasional use locally (Vintage Rallies where you polish it and show it as
part of the package) - and use your newer truck (with 460 CID) for serious
towing. <grin>

How's that for a short reply?

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net