[VAC] Re: Trouble lighting water heater pilot

I have personally had numerous problems with spider webs in the hot water heater regulator area.  One time, I had a difficult time of lighting the pilot and when it finally lit and began to heat the water, the second spider web had blocked the vent causing the flame the kick back towards the regulator.  I was unaware that the flame had blown back until while back inside the trailer I smelled burning insulation.  As a result, the aluminum around the water heater of that (my first Airstream) trailer was damaged, all the plastic parts melted and the foam insulation dripped onto the water heater controls.
 Because spider webs in the water heater area has been such a common (and dangerous!) occurrence for me, I use a soft, long handled brush to clean the parts before lighting the pilot after an extended period of nonuse.  I also tie a soft rag to the end of a hanger wire and run it up through the flame vent.

Charles L.
Central Ohio
1974 27' Overlander International
WBCCI 3048    VAC