[VAC] Re: Tambour supplier

Look for a cabinetmaker supplier in the yellow pages.  Typically they will
say "wholesale only" (mostly to keep out the amateurs) but will usually sell
retail.

Two manufacturers to consider are Flexible Materials, and Winona Industries.

So far as making your own - DON'T. That's OK for Norm Abrams in his PBS
sandbox.  It can be done, but the factory made is a lot more reliable and
consistent.  I have replaced many amateur or "custom made" tambour doors
which did not hold up - or work smoothly.

The finest quality wood tambour has a matching veneer over the solid wood
slats (typically flat with a beveled edge) which gives a beautiful,
consistent grain pattern across the door when it is closed.

Be sure to order the kind of tambour specifically designed for tambour
doors.  The other variety is used for decorative use (glued on to a flat or
curved surface) and will not stand up to the repeated flexing of a tambour
door application.

If you still need help, contact me off line.

Oliver Filippi
ofilippi@earthlink.net
a cabinetmaker in a prior life