[VAC] Introduction

Hi Jon & Jennifer,

Welcome the VAC Discussion List!
Your Search for an American Classic has started in the right place. Between
the members of the VAC and the knowledgeable Listees here, you have access
to the best information on locating, pricing and restoring the Vintage
Trailer you've always wanted.
Let me try to answer some of the questions you've relayed to us!

> So, that's who we are and why I'm here.  I'm applying for a "friends"
> membership, but of course can't be a full member until my quest is
complete.

Jon, if you have any trouble applying please contact my wife Linda the VAC
Membership Chair at moorelinda@airstream.net she will be able to answer your
questions regarding membership!

> I will probably just lurk most of the time and learn.  However, if anyone
is> interested and talkative, here are some topics I'm trying to learn
about.

Lurking, I find, is something that happens before you have your Airstream
and after you finish it enough to use it. (Your never really finished with a
Vintage A/S)

> Please do not be offended by the number of questions.  I don't actually
> expect answers to them, but you never know.

That's why were here! no offense taken!

> -How does one spot leaks in a unit for sale?

The most obvious signs to look for are at the main entrance, stains or soft
floor near the door. Look for water stains at the window sills and the walls
below, check any opening in the shell like roof vents and around the air
conditioner vent for stains as well. One place that's difficult to check but
has the highest potential for floor rot is behind the refrigerator,
especially if its near the door. When the fridgevent is cracked water seeps
in and does its damage over time unnoticed.

> -How does one spot tail sag?

There are varying degrees of this condition. The most severe can be seen by
looking down the side of the trailer from the front looking at the rear of
the wheel well. A bulge or buckling in the side wall will be very
noticeable! Airstream does have a repair procedure for this condition so it
is not a fatal flaw. There are others on the list that are more
knowledgeable in this area so if you want to know more just ask!

> -Are there any other major issues to look for in a unit for sale?

Yes, beware of frame condition on all pre 1961 Units. The majority of 50's
trailers had a thin wall rectangular cross section tubular steel frame! The
bottoms of the frames are prone to rust from the inside out so make sure
that frame still has structural integrity before purchase even if its skin
is highly polished!

> -Did the weight per foot of AS change considerably in the 60s & 70s?

Yes, for two reasons! One, because in 1961 A/S changed the frames to 4"
steel Channel with flat stock welded in the web. Secondly the amount of
equipment and cabinets increased. By the seventies even more amenities such
as gray water tanks, a 5" steel frame, and added length to a given model
raised the weights even more.

>-Does anyone have recommendations about weight & length based on towing
with a similar van?

There has been a plethora of discussion on this topic and from my
perspective there is no right answer. Everyone seems to have a preference
about what works best for them. When all is said and done, it breaks down
into two things. The longer the trailer the longer the wheelbase of the tow
vehicle required! And the heavier the trailer, the more horsepower you'll
want, especially on those mountain adventures!

> -Where are all the rear bedroom units--or are there very few?

Many 50's trailers were built with rear bedrooms, the 60's gravitated to the
rear bath and the 70's began to gravitate back toward the rear bedroom! I
like both depending on the size of the trailer!

> -Is it difficult or expensive to renovate showers and toilets?

Both! What you'll find when you rip out a bath in these units is enough to
make a grown man cry!
You had better be real handy with a variety of tools or have cash on hand.
Depending on the condition of the sub-floor, waste tanks, drain pipes, and
fixtures you could spend several hundred to a thousand dollars in bath
restoration costs and more if you have someone else do the work.

> -Is the plumbing likely to need replacement if not burst from freezing?

I would say not! If there are no leaks, don't make any!

> -What about gray water tanks?  Are they really that useful?  How hard is
it> to add one?  When did they become standard?

Gray water tanks became standard around 1973. They are very convenient to
have while traveling and a must when traveling in States with gray water
dumping ordinances. Adding tanks is a sizable task providing you have the
necessary clearances and access to the gray water lines. If not, major
plumbing retrofits may be necessary costing again several hundred to a
thousand dollars.

> -What's the best way to find a unit fairly close to home?  Most of the
> listings are too far away to reasonably evaluate before a purchase.

This is where lots of energy is expended! You need to come to a VAC Rally
and see Vintage trailers close up to see what is out there. Talk to other
owners about costs, repairs, layouts and tow vehicles. Then you will need to
go look at trailers for sale near your area by watching the VAC classifieds
and Ebay. There are other internet search engines as well, but I like the
two that I just mentioned. You will have to travel some to look at these,
they will not come to you! Once you have determined what you want and know
the pricing in your part of the country, you are now ready to buy. You will
have to act quickly, well priced units in good to excellent condition do not
last long.

> -Are all the old parts pretty much available and if so are they reasonably
> priced?

Unfortunately NO on both counts. NOS or New Old Stock is dwindling in
supply, However outside of the compound curved front and rear end caps. Many
aftermarket replacement parts are beginning to become available. Similar
replacements parts from different manufacturers can be modified to fit. Salv
age trailers are becoming very scarce. The reason is obvious, If  the
trailer has enough parts on it for you to strip, it is good enough for
someone else to restore, so its not available to salvage!

> -Is there a reference on the evolution of construction and interior design
> of AS's?

The Club's archives is growing  and is intended to be available to members
on the website. Some information has already been posted to the Members
area. In addition a publication by our newsletter editor has some excellent
history of A/S evolution. It can be purchased at this link!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811824713/qid%3D979531450/sr%3D2-1/vintageairstream/102-3804353-6505716

> Thanks for any assistance.  Hope this wasn't too long an email.

Hope this has helped answer your questions. Since you live in South
Carolina, you have a choice of upcoming VAC events to visit. In Region 2 The
Washington, DC unit is hosting a VAC Rally in Rehoboth, Delaware 25-28
October and in Region 3, Top O' Georgia Unit is hosting a VAC Rally near
Helen, Georgia 2-4 November. Info Links are at the VAC homepage
www.airstream.org
So make your plans to come out and visit and sample the club's hospitality.

Wayne A. Moore (WAM)
President Washington, DC Unit 2002
VAC Membership Committee

WDCU website -