[VAC] Re: tow vehicles

A full-size car WITH the factory towing option would be able to handle a
trailer the size you are thinking of - if you can find one. Yes an
equalizing hitch is necessary--unless you intend to get a 3/4 ton truck!
Since you wish to travel extensively you will most likely be much happier
with a larger than necessary tow vehicle which means full sized pickup or
Suburban type vehicle. Much less stress on the vehicle its driver and
occupants! Some midsized SUV's & trucks can handle the weight, but
experience tells me to stick with full sized, long wheel based tow vehicle.
Milage while towing will be nearly identical.

I hope that you are very close, because in a trailer the size you are
looking at you will be very close. Some people aren't bothered by this at
all, some are.

Do not let the size of the trailer intimidate you. An Airstream behind a
proper tow vehicle with a proper hitch is no problem to handle on the road.

 Good call on the Olds. I highly doubt that a midsize Olds wagon would
happily tow anything more that a pop-up. Even that might be beyond its
limits when out of the flatlands. Check with Oldsmobile to be sure. Call the
dealer with your VIN number. They can contact the factory or give you the
number to call yourself.

If you stick with a vintage Airstream 24 foot or less you are probably safe
with a vehicle rated to tow 5000 pounds. Don't trust a sales person. Ask to
see it in print. Engine sizes and rear end gear ratios make all the
difference in the world!

Scott Scheuermann
a happy camper with a 1960 Overlander for 22 years!
a summer full timer for the last 2.

FYI the famous picture of a guy towing an Airstream with a bicycle was with
a very early Airstream - a forties model I think. They were very lightweight
back then!