[VAC] Re: Boondocking and Airstreams

Jack- I think the present capabilities of most airstreams are adequate without
expanding or enlarging. We keep our 64 Safari in the mountains with no water
or power supply.  The 30 gal fresh water on board tank is generous, I feel,
for most uses. We haul water up from town 35 miles away in a 30 gal
polyethylene tank, and refill from that by gravity.  I could access local
surface water, but would rather not risk having to treat it, etc. My city
water is the best, and most convenient.
For  Gray water, I have it drain into a buried corrugated poly pipe that goes
about 10 ft over to a covered hole.  When on the road, we use a 10 gal blue
tank.
Black water tank is used minimally, but emptied when we take it to town before
a trip.
I have a 55 watt solar panel on top  which charges the marine deep cycle
battery. It is mounted flat for simplicity, and adequately charges our battery
between visits.  This is also connected to a pair of 6 volt golf cart
batteries about 30 feet away in a storage shed.  I put these together in a
wooden box enclosure, with a1000 watt inverter on top of them. This box has a
pair of good handles for two people to move if need be, to load into my pickup
if I wanted to take to town to charge them or travel with them, though I have
not. Between the two I have an extension cord that I alternate in two modes:
1. As a 110 volt supply from the inverter in the shed to the trailer, to
operate microwave, VCR/TV, when I want.  2. Then, when we go away, I unplug
this cord, and reconnect it to special receptacles that operate in the other
direction, on the 12 volt side, so that the solar panel charges the trailer
battery, plus the two big batteries in the shed.  This setup works well for my
needs, not nesc. yours, but any of the ideas are yours for use or adaptation
for your needs. I envy being able to stay out for weeks at a time. Good Luck !

Jere Potter
Ft. Collins, CO.