[VAC] Re: international shipping

I don't know a lot but what I do know I will share.

I sold a 1954 Safari to a gentleman from Belgium.  He arranged for the
shipping from Jacksonville, FL to Antwerp.

There were two options for transporting the trailer by ship.  The first was
to have the trailer placed into an open top shipping container.  This type
of transportation had the drawbacks of 1) The trailer width would barely
fit in the container. 2) This tight fit could result in damage during
transport. 3) The containers are stacked above deck on the ship.  This
could leave it open to the elements.  Remember the container has an open
top.  And containers do fall overboard.

The second option is called 'rollon-rolloff' or RORO to use the shipping
term.  This is how they ship cars.  The ship is designed with many, many
levels below deck.  All cargo is below deck on a RORO ship.  This method
costs more than the container method.  However I would assume the risk of
damage is much less.  When I dropped the Safari at the Port of Jacksonville
there were many boats on trailers waiting to be loaded.  So it appears to
be a popular method of shipping towable items.

The other thing to check is to be sure that the serial number on the
trailer and the title match.  If they do not it could be a little tricky
getting it through customs on the other side.  Be sure to have accurate
supporting documentation.

The shipping of this trailer was coordinated through a broker in New
Jersey.  I am not sure what you look under in the yellow pages.

- Mike Thornton