[VAC] Pergo Floor Installation

Hello, Dave ...

As I mentioned earlier, I have installed Pergo flooring in the living
room/galley area of my '68 Tradewind. I opted for the "no glue" version of
Pergo and it was easy to install. It helped to have watched the 30 minute
video about installation that was being shown continuously in the flooring
section of Home Depot. I had previously replaced some water damaged floor
after taking up the original floor tiles (two layers of them -- both layers
seemed to be original as they were both under the cabinets that were
attached to the floor). After taking up the tile, I sanded the floor to
remove the old adhesive and then used penetrating epoxy. Then I was ready to
install the Pergo.

AS you know, Pergo wants a thin foam underlayment to cushion the floor and
to cut down on noise. I taped the foam down and started with the first piece
of Pergo in front of the door and between the front couch and the bulkhead
beside the door. It was an exact fit for my Tradewind's floor plan. The
joints are supposed to be staggered for the second and following rows as
described in the printed Pergo instructions. I cut the Pergo sections as
needed with a saber/jig saw using a fine tooth blade. It was not hard to cut
accurately. I notched out for the new Dometic RM2510-2 refrigerator and the
cabinets at the floor line. It took exactly two packages of the Pergo
material at $60.31 per package Home Depot price.

Pergo recommends sealing the parameter edges with a special sealer they
sell. It comes in a tube like caulk and is applied with a caulk gun. I used
the Pergo sealer around the edges filling the expansion space I allowed for.
Then I cut and installed matching Pergo quarter round with liquid nails
attaching the quarter round to the vertical surface rather than to the floor
itself to allow the floor to float as it's made to do.

I'm pleased with the installation and the finished look. We plan to use a
small rug in front of the door to catch sand and debris from outside. If you
like a wood floor look that's easy to clean and maintain, you might want to
consider the Pergo.

I'll try to answer any questions now or later.

Jim Greene
'68 Tradewind w/Pergo floor