[VAC] Re: Hydraulic Brake Conversion

(Finally getting around to answering old postings)

I seriously contemplated staying with hydraulic brakes, and for me to
decide to stray from originality isn't taken lightly.  I've towed many
trailers with an all hydraulic set-up, and have told some of the more
hair-raising stories on this list.

What it came down to was that the brake cylinders were leaking - I could
get new ones though; the brake fluid had congealed - I could have
flushed the lines; the slave cylinder was sticking - I could have
rebuilt it, but what made me finally go electric brakes was my tow
vehicles.  They are all newer, with ABS brakes and still under
warranties.  I just didn't see the advantage to modify two vehicles with
all the brake line work, hydraulic fuses, compensator adjustments and
the lack of manual control from the drivers seat.

So, the Flying Cloud now has the original axle and new Dexter electric
brakes.  I took lots of pictures of the conversion.  More on that later.
 I kept the Slave Cylinder on the tongue for giggles and grins, though!

RJ
'57 Flying Cloud
'65 Caravel