[VAC] Re: refrig

Sunfrost claims the common domestic refrigerator takes 25% of the
residential energy. I'm not convinced that is true. I ran an old Philco
refrigerator summers in my barn (opened less than once a day on the
average) for cold drinks while working there on about 1 KWH a day. About
the same power consumption as the 70 watt sodium vapor outside light.
Here, I believe that pumping water uses most of my energy along with the
fans and dehumidifier in the summer and furnace in the winter.

Yes, when sitting at a spot without power or store selling ice, day 3 or
4 begins to be soggy and warm. Then is when the camper switches from
cold soda, milk, (and beer) to dry products like hot chocolate mixes,
dried soups, dried meals, and canned goods. Emulating the back packer.
One can camp quite a while with a small pantry and adequate water
without needing refrigeration.

None of the Sunfrost will fit under the counter as in my Caravel. And
there's not much counter space to sacrifice to installing a taller
refrigerator. There's 6 or 8" of foam insulation on all sides of the
Sunfrost, key to their energy efficiency.

While browsing the dealers referenced on the home power magazine page, I
ran onto another brand of RV refrigerator, Danby, but didn't find it
particularly energy efficient. There has to be a real trade off of
insulation space versus weight and efficiency. And that starts with
insulation thickness, or inside volume versus outside volume.

Gerald J.